Save

Encyclopedia of Greek Language and Linguistics Online

Editor-in-Chief:
The Encyclopedia of Greek Language and Linguistics Online is the culmination of many years’ efforts by over 400 scholars. It constitutes a thoroughly revised expansion of the Encyclopedia of Ancient Greek Language and Linguistics to encompass the entire history of Greek from Proto-Greek to modern times. The Encyclopedia provides an authoritative and comprehensive treatment of all important aspects of the language in its 3,500-year documented history, offering a systematic overview of the language on all levels and from many different angles and theoretical traditions. About 65% of the content is brand new, while the remaining 35% consists of revised and expanded entries from the Encyclopedia of Ancient Greek Language and Linguistics.

The Encyclopedia is an indispensable research tool for scholars and students in the fields of Greek language and linguistics, general and Indo-European linguistics, Biblical literature, and related fields. Its features and benefits include:

  • Full Text Search, advanced search options
  • Extensive cross-references
  • Navigation via hyperlinks
  • Detailed subject and author indices
  • Articles covering a wide range of topics such as the Greek of various sources (texts, manuscripts, inscriptions, reading traditions), major grammatical features (phonology, morphology, and syntax), lexicon, script, and paleography
  • Various theoretical linguistic approaches, such as computational linguistics, history of translation and reception, and influence on western languages
  • Interactions between linguistics and other related disciplines, such as philology, mythology, religion, culture, and poetics

    When completed in 2025, the Encyclopedia of Greek Language and Linguistics will comprise 800 main entries with over 1,400 subentries in a total of about 3 million words.
  • Please contact our sales team for more information on prices and licensing.

    Editor-in-Chief:
    Editor-in-Chief:
    Georgios K. Giannakis, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki

    Associate Editors:
    Emilio Crespo, Autonomous University of Madrid
    Brian D. Joseph, Ohio State University
    Panagiotis Filos, University of Ioannina
    Theodoros Markopoulos, University of Patras

    Former Associate Editors:
    Mark Janse, Ghent University
    Ioanna Manolessou, Academy of Athens

    Associate Editors of the Encyclopedia of Ancient Greek Language and Linguistics:
    Vit Bubenik, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John's
    Emilio Crespo, Autonomous University of Madrid
    Chris Golston, California State University, Fresno
    Alexandra Lianeri, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
    Silvia Luraghi, University of Pavia
    Stephanos Matthaios, University of Athens